Special Needs Centre
The Haven is a high COIN (communication and interaction needs) centre which we co-lead with Freemantles Special School. Our partnership with Freemantles is an equal partnership for the mutual benefit of both schools involved. This partnership model has been created to help the centre to address the full range of needs that this group of pupils has, taking the best practice from mainstream and special school provision, to develop individual learning pathways.
The overarching aim of this partnership is to co-lead an outstanding centre provision for 21 high COIN pupils, supporting them to successfully access as much mainstream inclusion as is appropriate for them to join, whilst delivering a curriculum which promotes the development of the whole child and maintaining good emotional well-being. In line with the Freemantles & Worplesdon vision it will focus on developing skills in 5 broad areas:
- Emotional Well-being
- Academic Achievement
- Social understanding
Our objectives are:
To promote centre pupils understanding of themselves, their feelings and emotions, their Autism/ needs and their ability to manage themselves effectively
To develop academically at a similar rate to their peers in the mainstream classroom and promote accessing learning in mainstream classrooms / with mainstream peers where they are comfortable to do so. As appropriate, increasing this time through a planned approach; recognising any further social learning that may be required.
To access and benefit from the mainstream curriculum developed at Worplesdon and to have academic assessment based on Worplesdon models
For Worplesdon’s SEN and Autistic mainstream pupils, parents and families to benefit from the centre facilities and expertise of the staff team through creative use of the resources available within both school settings.
For all pupils, staff and parents of both school settings to benefit from the association of the two schools as they move forward.
The Haven is a carefully designed space, situated in the heart of Worplesdon Primary School. The Haven benefits from two classrooms, one for our infant pupils and one for our junior pupils. Each classroom is spacious, well resourced with a group room attached. The Haven has sensory and a soft play break out room, as well as an outdoor courtyard.
The Haven is led by the Head of Centre with each class being taught by a specialist teacher and supported by special needs teaching assistants. This high staff to pupil ratio enables the pupils within The Haven receive the appropriate provision as set out in their Education, Health and Care Plan, as well as enabling the children to integrate int the mainstream with adult support. Furthermore, the centre benefits from the expertise of speech and language therapists, occupational therapists and physiotherapists.
We want children to feel success each day and as such, integration is led by the children. We play to the children’s strengths, for example integrating them into their mainstream class for mathematics if that is a strength or into art if that is an interest.
The School Day
The timing of the Centre provision start and finish will differ slightly from that of Worplesdon school.
- The centre school day will start at 9.15 am (15 minutes after the Worplesdon main school)
- The centre school day will finish at 3.30pm (15 minutes after the Worplesdon main school) Monday to Thursday, and at 2pm Fridays.
- The difference in school hours has been implemented:
- To ensure transitions into class are calm and safe for centre and school pupils
- To reduce risks of moving vehicles on site as MS pupils arrive f school.
- To ensure that there are not further vehicles on or around the site at the busiest times of the day. The safe arrival and departure of centre transport has been planned into the building works.
- The 2pm finish on Fridays is to allow staff (from both schools, as appropriate) to attend the training sessions at Freemantles or to have class team meetings to ensure communication and behaviour plans are as effective as possible.
All children within The Haven have an EHCP. If parents feel that their child requires this bespoke provision then they need to apply for a place via the Local Authority.